Monday, September 29, 2008

Kahlua

I do not even like to drink Kahlua but I have a dog by that name! My husband had wanted a Chesapeake Bay Retriever for quite some time, but we had no fenced yard for a dog that size. I finally convinced him that we would get a dog if he would fence the yard. During the summer of 2003 my husband and son fenced our back yard. Then the search for a dog began. Early in December I saw an advertisement for Chesapeakes and checked into it. They would be ready for adoption by December 15. Since the owners lived less than one mile from us, I convinced them to keep it until Christmas morning. I picked out a brown beanie puppy with a red collar and wrapped it for my husband. Then I picked out a red dog collar and wrapped that also. Christmas Eve on our way home from dinner, my husband (who does like Kahlua) decided that he would like to purchase a bottle of Kahlua. However, all of the liquor stores were already closed for the holiday. So, home with no Kahlua. Christmas morning, after unwrapping all of our gifts, we took the dog collar and went to pick up the newest edition to our family. My husband was more excited than the puppy, if you can picture a grown man being that excited. She was a dark curly brown with just a hint of white on her belly and a dot of white on her chest. What to name her? What to name her? We looked at the names of her ancestors and compared that to her color. It seemed that chocolate and brown were all over in her line but we needed a new name. That is when we decided that my husband could have his Kahlua for Christmas after all and called her Kahlua Honey Grizzly.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Alice that is a really sweet story. I myself don't like Kahlua either. We don't have a dog but we do have a black cat named Zukko. My kids would like one but with them still being so young we need to wait a while longer.

skipvia said...

Dogs are the best.

JessieD329 said...

It's funny you brought up that particular spirit. I barely have time to write my name sometimes, maybe that's why I'm always late w/assignments. This 4th entry is on our own subject, right?